A match from 20 years ago now but if you watch it again this is a game full action.  This match takes us back to 1996 in a match between Liverpool and Newcastle United in the race for the Premiership.  During that season, Newcastle had built up a lead under their manager Kevin Keegan of 12 points, however this was gradually whittled away by Manchester United with Liverpool close behind in third place.  When Keegan’s Newcastle team went to the home of Liverpool, Anfield at the beginning of April 1996, we witnessed a remarkable encounter between the two sides which ended with Newcastle United supporters in despair.

The Match

Fowler (2′), (55′), Collymore (68′, 90+2′) | Ferdinand (10′), Ginola (14′), Asprilla (57′)

Home side Liverpool started off this encounter between the two sides by excellently scoring the first goal with 2 minutes.  This came from a ball down the right from Jamie Redknapp to Stan Collymore who then crossed the ball high into the box to Robbie Fowler who was waiting towards the far post.  Fowler then rose to meet the ball and hit a powerful downward header into the back of the net to give Liverpool the lead.  Despite going behind early, Newcastle were quick to respond with attacks and put pressure on the Liverpool defence.  8 minutes after going behind Newcastle finally found a breakthrough when striker Faustino Asprilla took the ball down the right wing bast Razor Ruddock.  He then put the ball into the box into the path of Les Ferdinand, Ferdinand still had work to do when he received the ball having 3 defenders facing him but he quickly turned got himself behind the ball and smashed it into the back of the net past Liverpool goalkeeper David James.  Newcastle continued and 4 minutes later got themselves a great counterattacking goal.  Les Ferdinand received a long ball from his defender in the centre of the pitch and saw David Ginola about to make a breaking run down the left, Ferdinand released the ball over to the frenchman who then charged down on goal and hit the ball across goal into the back of the net to mark a quick comeback for Newcastle putting them ahead after just under quarter of an hour.  In the first half Liverpool had chances to bring themselves level through Fowler, Redknapp and McManaman but none of them were able to put the ball past the Newcastle keeper.  Newcastle threatened in the second half to score a third and had a great chance Robert Lee after a great one two, but he failed to put the ball into the back of the net after a great save by David James.  After this Liverpool did almost equalise through a corner after the ball was played high in the air to John Scales, but the header was blocked from going in by his own team mate Robbie Fowler.  Liverpool eventually did break that deadlock after a great ball was played down the right wing to Steve McManaman who then ran towards the edge of the penalty area before squaring the ball across the box into open space when Fowler sprinted in and powered the ball home to give Liverpool the equaliser. 2-2.  Newcastle were again quick to respond with some counter attacking football.  Robert Lee was given the ball in the centre of the pitch and then played a ball through to Asprillas who then smashed the ball past the rushing out Liverpool keeper to give Newcastle a 3-2 lead.  Liverpool started to put the pressure back on again and in the 68th minute Stan Collymore put the Reds back on level terms.  This came through an excellent low early cross into the box from Irish winger Jason McAteer into the path of Collymore who then hit the ball on the volley into the back of the net.  It then took until the dying second of the game for the deadlock to be broken for the final time and to sink the hearts of Newcastle United fans.  It started with some excellent multiple one two build up play from Ian Rush and John Barnes.  Barnes ended up with the ball in the centre area but with Newcastle defenders surrounding him, he then saw Stan Collymore closing in on the right and played the ball across the left side of the penalty area into the path of Collymore.  He then got the ball and on his second touch smashed it into the back of the net to win the match and conclude an absolute thriller of a match between the two title chasers and leave Kevin Keegan with his head in his hand.